Thank you to the amazing Donators of Beautiful Disaster. I will be as transparent as possible about what donations go to for the site. Donations are always accepted and welcomed to help the site continue to grow for the foreseeable future.
The current costs for the site are as follows:
- $22 per year for the domain name
- $15 per month for the two servers (vs the $40 we were paying previously)
- $19 per month for the chat software. After this month is up, we will be renewing for a full year at $204. (Saving $24 by going annual)
- $39 per year for backups as well as tools that let me see stats on the site (Jetpack Personal)
- $99 per year for our security plugin
- $25 per month for our DNS features
- $17 for monitoring software (exploring free options, and I’m not sure we really need this)
- So far we’ve had:
- $20 donated by Zoey to cover the first month of chat as well as man hours building the servers and site.
- $55 donated by Alice to cover the domain name for the first year, as well as the $39 for jetpack.
- $475 donated by an anonymous member for one year of Chat and a chunk towards server costs
- $100 donated by IcePrincess to cover anything I may need.
- $205 donated by Bright.
- $100 by Destro towards server costs
- $190 by Zoefrogs for various things to keep me sane (thank you)
- $50 from Sego
- $10 from Tara for helping me meet the lovely Iaawaa in person.
- $50 from Mambo
- $50 from birdonawire
- $4 from brausewind (after currency exchange fees)
- $10 from Gussie
- $50 from Tool
Thank you to all donators. I could have (probably) gone without some donations (I’d need the donation for the chat software either way as I can’t afford to plunk that out at once). If you would like your name removed please let me know.
If you’d like to donate to us, you can donate via paypal using this link or mail me a check.
**** Please note: If you are on SSI/SSDI or any other form of disability as your main income, I will not accept donations larger than $20 from you. You need that money more than we do. ****
Why the servers are so expensive
I’ve worked with WordPress sites previously and they are incredibly resource intensive (or at least they were when I used WordPress last… IE 2009). I originally thought that 2048MB servers each for the Database and Web server would be just enough for it, however after monitoring the last few months I realized they are incredibly oversized for us.
On July 31st 2017 I rebuilt the servers using smaller servers that cost half the price but should still give us a good price/performance ratio. My background in web hosting doesn’t normally use WordPress anymore (Way overkill for most of what I code / what clients need) so I was just using my best guess.
To add: I’ve uploaded the invoices (with personal information redacted) to be crystal clear. Currently I have the invoice for iFlyLabs (chat), WordPress (Jetpack), and Namecheap (domain name) for your viewing pleasure.
This is for the year:
Didn’t get a receipt but the total was $8.56 after tax.
This is the server bill from last month from Vultr.com: